AP* Seminars Silicon Valley Short Syllabus
AP* English Language and Composition
Session 1: Introduction
• The AP* English Language Examination and the College Board* Program
• Course objectives, including skills required such as:
• Close Reading, Analysis, Argument, and Synthesis.
• Notes from Daytona Beach. The AP* Audit. College Board* Equity Policy.
Session 2: Teaching Close Reading and Analysis
• Methods of teaching Close Reading and Analysis.
• Developing writing skills short texts. Writing your own prompts and other strategies.
• Classroom strategies to develop analysis and evidence in student writing rather than summary.
Session 3-4: Teaching Analysis
• Methods of teaching analysis. Demonstrating function of tone, diction and syntax in relation to author purpose. Practice reading and scoring analysis anchor sets from the 2019 AP* English Language and Composition Exam
Session 5: Teaching Argument
• Methods of teaching argument and persuasive writing.
• Methods of teaching students to use evidence to support a thesis.
• Practice reading and scoring argument anchor sets from the 2019 AP* English Language and Composition Exam
Session 6: Teaching Synthesis
• "Factoid Friday" and beyond. Creating argument prompts.
• Citation of evidence in a synthesis essay. Practice reading and scoring synthesis anchor sets from the
2019 AP* English Language and Composition Exam
Session 7: Employing visual texts to develop the synthesis essay.
• Methods of teaching rhetorical analysis of visual texts: photos, paintings.
• Cartoons, charts etc. Practice creating a synthesis prompt.
• Sharing synthesis ideas. Teaching citation analysis and teaching analysis of footnotes, endnotes and bibliography.
Session 8: Multiple Choice
• Strategies for teaching successful multiple choice
• Wrap up of on-going discussions. Evaluations and awarding certificates.