Gary taught AP Calculus at Davis High School for 20 years and served as an AP Reader for 6 years. He was instrumental in building one of the largest and most successful AP programs in the United States. Gary has led College BoardTM Calculus workshops in Bellevue, Bozeman, Bountiful, San Mateo, Greenwood Village, San Antonio, Washington D.C., Los Angeles, La Jolla, El Paso, Kaysville, Grand Junction, Vancouver WA, Palo Alto, Irvine, Richmond, Kaneohe, Lagos, Mumbai, Pompano Beach, McClellan Park, Anchorage, Albuquerque, San Gabriel, Calgary, Vancouver BC, Santa Anna, Winnipeg, Farmington, Seattle, Tucson, Nanjing, Honolulu, Phoenix, Newark, Gilbert, Manhattan, and Compton.
Gary is coauthor of “The Essentials of Calculus” and “Calculus Extended” as well as early transcendentals versions of each.
A TI 84 graphing calculator will be used for instruction.
Participants should have a copy of their primary Calculus text and access to a graphing calculator.
• Building a more successful AP program
• Access and Equity (student selection and recruitment)
• PreAP course alignment
• Test prep strategies
• Changes included in the new Course and Exam Description
• Online resources available in AP Classroom
AB Calculus Topics (mostly brief discussion)
• Chain Rule Differentiation
• Implicit Differentiation and Related Rates
• Mean Value Theorem, Curve Sketching
• L’Hospital’s Rule
• Integration and The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus
• Differential Equations and Slope Fields
• Euler’s Method
• Integration by Parts
• Improper Integrals
• Taylor Series
• Convergence Tests
• Interval of Convergence
• Error Bound
• AP* Test Review Materials and Strategies
• The 2023 Free Response Exam