July 25 - July 28, 2022
The College Board describes the Advanced Placement English Language and Composition Course as one which “engages students in becoming skilled readers of prose written in a variety of periods, disciplines, and rhetorical contexts and in becoming skilled writers who compose for a variety of reasons.”
Purpose of this Institute:
My intent for this workshop is to provide materials and models for teaching an Advanced Placement English Language and Composition class. When the workshop is completed, you should have a confident plan for designing, enriching and teaching your own Advanced Placement English Language and Composition class.
Day 1 July 25:
• The AP English Language and Composition Course and Examination
• Overview of the AP English Language Course/Exam:
• Changes in the Exam and Audit
• New Instructional Resources
• Course objectives: Rhetorical reading, analysis, argument and synthesis.
• College Board Equity and Access
• Curriculum Development:
• Big Ideas »
• Enduring Understandings
• Course Skills
• Essential Knowledge
• Rhetorical Reading and Passage Analysis
Day 2 July 26:
• Strategies for teaching Rhetorical Reading and Rhetorical Analysis.
• Integrating strategies into the course framework to develop skills in analysis
• Employing Instructional Resources (AP Classroom, Progress Checks, AP Question Bank, AP Daily Videos)
• Building a thesis according to the 2022 rubric
• Strategies for assessing free response essays
• Scoring the Rhetorical Analysis Essay on the 2022 Exam
Day 3 July 27:
• Discussion of participants’ successful techniques for teaching argument
• Thesis invention and support, claims, evidence
• Developing a line of Reasoning
• Analyzing visual texts as argument
• Scoring the Argument Essay on the 2022 Exam
Day 4 July 28:
• Techniques for teaching skills and essential knowledge of synthesis writing
• Factoid Friday and Beyond
• Scoring the Synthesis Essay on the 2022 Exam
• Multiple Choice changes and strategies for the composition questions
• Strategies for assessment – a variety of approaches.
• Wrap-up of ongoing discussions and evaluations.
• Awarding of certificates